Floating Share Widget
NRF has been conducting its annual Back-to-School and Back-to-College surveys since 2003 to see how American families will shop for clothing, supplies and other items for the next school year.
Podcast: Back-to-class with Generation Z
Back-to-college spending is expected to reach $55 billion this year, and many of those shopping for themselves are members of Generation Z. Learn how this first generation to grow up with the internet and smartphones is shaping the retail landscape on NRF's podcast Retail Gets Real.
August consumer survey: Back-to-class shopping continues as school begins
As students prepared to head back to class this month, families had completed just over half their shopping for school and college supplies. Only 17 percent of school shoppers and 15 percent of college shoppers were completely done, while 21 percent of school shoppers and 23 percent of college shoppers hadn’t started yet.
July consumer survey: 2018 Back-to-School and College spending to reach $82.8 billion
The back-to-school and college shopping season is in full swing, but many parents and college students say they are waiting for the best deals to complete their shopping lists, according to NRF’s annual survey conducted by Prosper Insights and Analytics. Total spending for K-12 schools and college combined is projected to reach $82.8 billion, nearly as high as last year’s $83.6 billion.
With one in four children belonging to Hispanic families, the U.S. Hispanic consumer is a critical driver of how families shop and spend this back-to-school season. NRF’s annual survey found that Hispanic parents are expected to spend $148 more than the average shopper this year.
While the time-honored tradition of picking out new backpacks, lunch boxes and planning first-day outfits may be the same, the way customers approach shopping for the season has changed in recent years. NRF's research team digs into the data to identify trends.
Click through the slideshow below for more insights into back-to-school season.
Watch the video below to learn more about how the back-to-school and back-to-college season will play out according to the data, from NRF's Director of Industry and Consumer Insights, Katherine Cullen.
- August consumer survey: More parents holding off on back-to-school shopping
- July consumer survey: Back-to-school and back-to-college spending to reach $83.6 billion
- Slideshow: Back-to-school and back-to-college
- Infographic: Back-to-class with NRF
- Article: Class is in session — 3 lessons for retailers this back-to-school season
- July consumer survey: Back-to-school and college spending to reach $75.8 billion
- August consumer survey: Families aren’t finished with back-to-school shopping
- Article and SlideShare: A look at 2016’s top trends
- Infographic: A closer look at back-to-school shopping
NRF’s annual Back-to-School and Back-to-College survey is released each year in July.
- Retail Library
- Annual Retailer Lists
- 4-5-4 Calendar
- Retail Technology Standards
- Retail Safety
- About retail jobs
- Consumer Research and Data
- Future of Retail
- Buying Guides
Retailers are investing 25% of their digital marketing holiday budgets in Black Friday campaigns and just 5% of sur… https://t.co/KhJSQM4YeZ3 days ago