Senior Director, Media Relations
Floating Share Widget
National Retail Federation’s dedicated staff of more than 100 makes an impact in the lives of retailers, retail employees and consumers every day, and our collaborative culture reflects the passion and innovation of the industry we serve. A career at NRF offers opportunities for learning, travel and professional growth.
NRF is seeking a Senior Director, Media Relations to join its Communications and Public Affairs department. The ideal candidate will develop and execute short and long-term media campaigns to support NRF’s and the retail industry’s advocacy agenda. She/he will possess a solid background managing multiple media relations efforts and demonstrate direct experience handling federal government and policy issues.
The successful candidate will possess intellectual curiosity, embrace open collaboration, and take an energetic approach to fulfilling our mission.
- Proactively builds press awareness of NRF campaigns, issues, and events, writing press releases, media advisories, Op-Eds, and executive briefing documents
- Develops and maintains strong Washington D.C media contacts from traditional and emerging media outlets
- Identifies targeted media opportunities to increase brand awareness and profile of the NRF brand and its senior leadership team
- Maintains an acute understanding of policy issues including their history, current activity and future developments
- Works with policy team to develop and maintain content to support PR and Advocacy sections of NRF website
- Represents NRF to the public through a variety of media as an association spokesperson
- Manages the tracking and reporting of NRF media hits
- Offers insight and understanding about leveraging new and emerging media technology to strengthen public awareness of key issues among target audiences
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications/Journalism
- A minimum 6 years’ experience in increasingly responsible staff positions handling multiple media relations duties with direct experience handling federal government and policy issues
- Must have a portfolio of successful past media placements, specifically demonstrating results with political and government media
- Established relationships with Inside the Beltway and national media – including print and television producers
- Demonstrated ability to understand and analyze complex issues and situations and to provide thoughtful media relations strategy
- Outstanding judgment, writing, speaking, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Must communicate effectively and persuasively in a variety of environments
- Ability to write about a variety of legislative issues for diverse audiences through multiple channels
- Experience working in a political campaign, Capitol Hill or trade association experience is a plus
- Proven excellence in successfully juggling multiple and often high-pressure deadlines with an extraordinary attention to detail
- Some travel
How to apply
To apply, send your resume and one-page letter summarizing your interest, qualifications and salary expectations. Please reference the Senior Director, Media Relations position in your cover letter. Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attention: VP, Human Resources, NRF, 1101 New York Ave., NW, Suite 1200, Washington, DC 20005
National Retail Federation (NRF) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NRF is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. NRF will not discriminate because of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, past or present military service, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state and local law.
Who We Are
NRF made The Washington Post's list of Top Workplaces in D.C. for the second year in a row.