Floating Share Widget
National Retail Federation’s dedicated staff of more than 100 makes an impact in the lives of retailers, retail employees and consumers every day, and our collaborative culture reflects the passion and innovation of the industry we serve. A career at NRF offers opportunities for learning, travel and professional growth.
NRF is seeking a Director, Research to join its Research Department. This position will be responsible for collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to develop and deliver a program of policy, economic and workforce-related research that aligns with the strategic priorities of NRF and its members. Identifies and works closely with external vendors to produce high quality and impactful research that supports NRFs policy and workforce initiatives.
The ideal candidate will possess intellectual curiosity, embrace open collaboration and take an energetic and flexible approach to fulfilling our mission.
- Manages NRF's policy and workforce-related research, develops and produces outputs which support key NRF strategic priorities
- Partners with Vice President of Research and Chief Economist to identify methodologies and produce research and statistics that illustrate the impact of the retail industry on the broader economy
- Collaborates with NRF departments to ensure all research undertaken produces outcomes that support broader organizational objectives
- Manages research projects; plans and implements research strategy and supervises consultants/contractors to ensure deliverables are met according to specified timelines and budgetary resources
- Performs primary and desk-based research to obtain consumer and retailer perspectives on key workforce and policy-related issues in addition to identifying and analyzing data and studies on a range of relevant topics
- Manages, analyzes and disseminates data on the retail industry collected from a range of sources including government statistical bureaus
- Partners with stakeholders and proactively engages sources in the analysis and discussion of research methodologies and findings
- Participates in internal and external industry focused events and meetings to deliver research data and findings
- Serves as a resource for NRF staff, retail and associate members, policymakers and journalists on NRF research data and findings
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Degree in research, economics, political science, or similar discipline(s)
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in research development or analysis
- Deep familiarity with both workforce-related and policy-focused issues preferred
- Previous responsibility managing staff – specifically contractors, consultants, and/or outside vendors – and a budget
- Experience with and understanding of quantitative and qualitative research methods, including survey design, statistical analysis, data collection, and management
- Familiarity with government data and statistics, particularly related to jobs and employment but also including economic data series
- Proven experience in writing summaries and analyses of research findings in a variety of formats
- Ability to design surveys to accomplish research goals, analyze raw data, and identify components of research of value to target audiences
- High-level of professionalism and ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside partners and executives
- Detail-oriented, self-starter with ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and people simultaneously, and follow through on issues in a timely manner
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to adapt quickly and readily to change
- Travel required
How to apply
To apply, send your resume and one page cover letter summarizing your interest, qualifications and salary expectations. Please reference the Director, Research position in your cover letter. Email your application to email@example.com, Attention: Manager, Human Resources, NRF, 1101 New York Avenue, NW, Suite 1200, Washington, DC 20005.
National Retail Federal offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes focus on work/life satisfaction and balance. NRF seeks to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled and collaborative staff.
Who We Are
Find out how the retail industry impacts jobs, income and GDP in your state. View the map and check out the data.
NRF made The Washington Post's list of Top Workplaces in D.C. for the second year in a row.